What is TransTape?
- TransTape is a gender-affirming body transformation system for transgender, gender-fluid, gender non-conforming and asexual humans. It is backless, strapless, waterproof and sweat-proof. We offer 3 sizes; small (7.5cm wide), medium (10cm wide) and large (12.5cm wide). We offer 3 skin tones to best match your skin for optimal discretion; Light Beige, Dark Beige and Brown. TransTape may be worn as a chest binder, packer harness or gaff. It may be used at the beach, in the pool or in the shower. TransTape may be safely worn for up to 5 consecutive days
- When and how did your company start?
- TransTape started in July of 2017, when Kaiyote discovered he was transgender and purchased a binder to flatten his chest. After putting on the binder, his dysphoria sky-rocketed and became much worse. The discomfort of being compressed in the New England heat was unbearable and wearing a binder made him more aware of his chest and more self-conscious. He knew he needed to find or create an alternative. He remembered going to the chiropractor and having kinetic tape put on his body. It lasted through showering and multiple days of wear. He purchased a roll of kinetic tape and started to experiment. Instantly he knew it would not work for his large breasts, given the very narrow width of the tape. He also did not like how obvious it looked on his skin due to the shiny material used by most kinetic tape brands. He decided to research to find a manufacturer that would be willing to make a tape to our specifications. After searching and searching he found a company willing to work with our needs. It was very important for us to be an inclusive company and wanted to ensure we would be able to provide service to everyone, regardless of shape, size or skin tone. We would not stop until we found a company willing to make a brown skin tone for us that wouldn’t charge a ridiculous price. It was surprisingly harder than expected, as we thought this should be a standard option.
- What are the benefits of TransTape versus a traditional chest binder?
- Binding vs taping are drastic in comparison.
- Binding, in our opinion, is extremely risky and dangerous. It is uncomfortable and very damaging for the body. Binding compresses the torso and all the organs hiding inside. It is known to puncture lungs, break ribs and restrict breathing. Binders have a time limit of 8 hours max of "safe" wear-ability. Although binders can get wet, they should NOT be worn in water; either swimming showering or the such. Binders cover the entire upper body keeping heat and sweat inside causing over-heating and exhaustion to happen rather quickly. Binders are not discreet as they cover the entire chest, shoulders and back, causing obvious lines and marks in your clothing and cannot be worn without a shirt.
- TransTape is extremely breathable and flexible and moves freely with the body. TransTape allows you the freedom to engage in and participate in all activities, water sports included! It is waterproof and sweat-proof and is able to be worn safely for up to 5 consecutive days! This means that you may go to bed as yourself in a body you recognize, wake up in that body and step into the shower with that body and still have that body reflect how you see yourself. You may then exit the shower (wrap your towel around your waist!) and dress your body in any way you feel you'd like to express yourself.
- Given the lack of compression and the level of mobility TransTape provides, it is great in the gym as it allows for full range of motion and allows you to have perfect form. TransTape does not compress the spine or ribs and allows the muscles to move naturally, resulting in better posture and a more confident presence.
- Transtape creates the illusion of a masculine or non-binary chest without the risks and costs of top surgery and can be worn with all garments while still being discreet