What is TransTape?
- TransTape is a gender-affirming body transformation system for transgender, gender-fluid, gender non-conforming and asexual humans. It is backless, strapless, waterproof and sweat-proof. We offer 3 sizes; small (7.5cm wide), medium (10cm wide) and large (12.5cm wide). We offer 3 skin tones to best match your skin for optimal discretion; Light Beige, Dark Beige and Brown. TransTape may be worn as a chest binder, packer harness or gaff. It may be used at the beach, in the pool or in the shower. TransTape may be safely worn for up to 5 consecutive days
- When and how did your company start?
Transtape was created in 2016, when Kaiyote, at the age of 35, discovered and accepted that he was transgender. After a lifetime of hatred and disconnect from his body, he searched for products to help align his mind and body. Like most trans men, he instantly purchased a "traditional" binder to help hide his chest and create a more masculine look. Upon putting the binder on, he felt more like himself but was very uncomfortable, especially in the New England heat and humidity. He knew there needed to be a better alternative to the classic binding technique that leaves most people over heated, feeling restricted and on a time limit of 8 hours of use. He remembered a kinetic tape that the chiropractor used on him and that lasted a week before needing to be removed. After experimenting and finding it to be too narrow for the proposed use. He then researched companies that could provide him with a wider tape with more skin tones to match more body types and sizes. His first application changed his life and after a year of keeping it to himself, he knew he needed to share this technique with the community, and thus Transtape was born. He has since been providing the trans, non-binary and lesbian community with a binding alternative that allows for a full range of motion, with no restriction or compression, that was also waterproof and able to be worn in the shower, ocean, and pools. Transtape has been providing the community with freedom to enjoy life in comfort, without fear of exposure, since 2017. Transtape continues to create more products to help transform bodies and ease gender dysphoria while allowing people to find comfort in their skin for days on end. The company strives to be all inclusive to give everyone the chance to find their freedom.What are the benefits of TransTape versus a traditional chest binder?
- Binding vs taping are drastic in comparison.
- Binding, in our opinion, is extremely risky and dangerous. It is uncomfortable and very damaging for the body. Binding compresses the torso and all the organs hiding inside. It is known to puncture lungs, break ribs and restrict breathing. Binders have a time limit of 8 hours max of "safe" wear-ability. Although binders can get wet, they should NOT be worn in water; either swimming showering or the such. Binders cover the entire upper body keeping heat and sweat inside causing over-heating and exhaustion to happen rather quickly. Binders are not discreet as they cover the entire chest, shoulders and back, causing obvious lines and marks in your clothing and cannot be worn without a shirt.
- TransTape is extremely breathable and flexible and moves freely with the body. TransTape allows you the freedom to engage in and participate in all activities, water sports included! It is waterproof and sweat-proof and is able to be worn safely for up to 5 consecutive days! This means that you may go to bed as yourself in a body you recognize, wake up in that body and step into the shower with that body and still have that body reflect how you see yourself. You may then exit the shower (wrap your towel around your waist!) and dress your body in any way you feel you'd like to express yourself.
- Given the lack of compression and the level of mobility TransTape provides, it is great in the gym as it allows for full range of motion and allows you to have perfect form. TransTape does not compress the spine or ribs and allows the muscles to move naturally, resulting in better posture and a more confident presence.
- Transtape creates the illusion of a masculine or non-binary chest without the risks and costs of top surgery and can be worn with all garments while still being discreet